Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Probationer Returns from Florida

Here I am sitting on my flight back from Miami after having gone to court to take care of the DUI charge from last summer. I am going to be serving a year of probation but can luckily take care of all of it in California.

Lots to think about!

Topics like "sobriety" and "addiction" among our community will always be hot ones for all of us, yes?

And it is interesting for me because I am finding myself now in the position of asking the Desert AIDS Project (with my degree and work experience) if they accept court-ordered (DUI) volunteers so that I can complete my community service hours. I hold a Master's Degree in Social Work and have experience as a case manager and psychotherapist at the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center and other LGBT organizations in the LA/OC area including Alternatives, Inc. (the nation's only gay owned and operated alcohol, drug and mental health program).

Ah the irony, eh? grin

I realize that everyone is different and that a case could be made for the concept that everyone has an “addiction” of their own—whether it is an addiction to power, to strict adherance to “the status quo,” or to foods like refined sugar. In my experience, these issues are always going to be complex?

Anyway, enough musings for now--trying to just process all of what has happened over the past few days. I am so thrilled to be back home in SoCal--and that all of this can finally be put behind me. Thanks to everyone who has been so supportive through all of it--looks like the adventures will continue and that there still remains much to be learned! =)

No comments: